Working with InformedDNA for genetic counseling is easy.
Many healthcare providers know that genetic counseling for patients undergoing genetic testing is considered a best practice by several professional medical associations. And, many health plans (including Cigna) require that patients must receive genetic counseling prior to moving forward with genetic testing.
We make it easy for you to refer those patients to us and provide convenient access via phone to one of the nearly 100 board-certified genetic counselors who we have on staff. These genetic counselors average more than eight years of experience and all are InformedDNA employees (not contractors). So, you will have comfort knowing that your patients have access to the largest and most experienced genetics services provider in the country.
InformedDNA genetic counseling
How It Works
InformedDNA will contact the patient immediately to schedule their appointment with one of our board-certified genetic counselors. Expedited patients who have treatment decisions pending can be scheduled in just a few days and others within 5-10 business days. We even have night and weekend appointment availability.
The Genetic Counseling Process
Our board-certified genetic counselors are highly trained, covering all genetic specialties. As part of the genetic counseling appointment, the genetic counselor will:
- Collect the patient’s medical history and a 3-4 generation family history
- Discuss the underlying genetics of the patient’s condition
- Review the benefits and limitations of genetic testing
- Help to identify other family members who may also be at-risk and could benefit from genetic counseling and genetic testing
- Complete all of the necessary Myriad forms
- Submit to the patient’s health plan the prior authorization request for testing
- Post-test, review and explain the individual’s genetic test results, and implications for personal health and risks to family members
We will inform you, the ordering healthcare provider, of any genetic testing your patient has, and you’ll receive a copy of all test results, as well as a personalized summary of the genetics consultation.
Myriad will contact the patient via email or text regarding any expected testing cost to him/her after reviewing with the patient’s insurance plan.
- Download our Genetic Counseling FAQ specifically for healthcare providers using Myriad for genetic testing.
- Download our Genetic Counseling Referral Guide for healthcare providers using Myriad for genetic testing.
- Request the full list of health plans with which we are in-network.
If pre-test counseling is not a health plan requirement for your patient, it is still very beneficial and recommended by professional medical associations. It may be ordered through InformedDNA before sample collection. When referring a patient in this scenario, just indicate your lab preference as “Myriad” on our online referral form.